Posted January 7th, 2016 by simon brigg No Comments
In a new series about ‘out there’ BBQ recipes, where better to start than with a smoked pigs’ ear sandwich? Crunchy, crispy and delicious, the ears are an unloved cut, but we’re gonna show you how to give them the TLC they need.
What You’ll Need
- ½lb of pigs ears
- Bread bun (we’d go brioche)
- Porky’s Memphis BBQ rub (other BBQ rubs are available but won’t taste as good)
- Wrapping Mixture:
- 50g Butter
- ½ cup of light muscovado sugar
- 250ml beer
- 2 tbs hot sauce
- 2 tbs BBQ sauce
- 1 Cucumber (diced)
- 1 Red Onion sliced on mandolin
- ½ Cup white sugar
- ¼ White wine vinegar
- 150ml water
- Salt (to taste)
Make the Magic:
- Trim rough edges off the ears
- Apply BBQ rub
- Smoke at 120°C (or 250°F if you’re a real cowboy)
- Make the wrapping mixture by melting the butter and combining all ingredients
- Wrap ears in foil with generous amount of wrapping mixture
- Throw back in smoker for 2 hours – or until tender.
- Meanwhile! Warm the water and add muscovado sugar, white wine vinegar and salt.
- Pour over the onion and cucumber. Refrigerate.
- When done, pop ears in the bun and garnish with relish.
If you’re too lazy to cook for yourself, why not book a table at your nearest Porky’s and we’ll do all the hard work for you. Just click here.